SkillSelect visa

SKILLS IN SHORTAGE Australia faces a long-term skill shortage, so it's the perfect time to make your skilled migration application. The occupations in shortage include accountants, IT professionals, engineers, construction managers, finance professionals, nurses, teachers, social workers, scientists, architects, community service professionals, administrators and tradespeople. Trades in shortage include plumbers, electricians, tilers, metal fabricators, carpenters, bricklayers, fitters, aircraft trades, electronics trades, motor mechanics, painters, welders and many others. POINTS-BASED ASSESSMENT To qualify for general skilled migration, you must meet a pre-determined point score. Points are earned through your age, your work experience, your trade or occupation and your English language ability. Other points may be added to your score if you have close relatives living in Australia or you have studied or worked in Australia previously. You also get points if you are sponsored by a state that needs people with your skills LODGING AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI) As part of your visa application, you will be required to lodge an ‘Expression of Interest’ (EOI) through ‘SkillSelect’. We can advise you through this part of the process by ensuring your EIO includes everything necessary to be considered for a visa. Once you’ve submitted your EOI, you’ll be added to the pool of people waiting to be invited to apply for a visa. When you receive your invitation, you will then have 60 days to file for a visa. We make sure that your visa is lodged quickly and accurately.


To apply for this visa, you’ll need to be working in a job on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and be able to meet the skill assessment requirements for your occupation. Eligibility for the 189 visa is based on a point score, taking into account age, qualifications, work experience and English competence.

As you are working in a role on this list you don’t need sponsorship from a relative or state, and you can live in any part of the country.


? You and your partner can work in any job on arrival

? You can study at one of Australia’s fantastic schools or universities

? You can start your journey towards Australian citizenship

? You can sponsor others during their own permanent residency applications

? You’ll receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare

We have years of experience guiding people through their skill assessment for the skilled independent 189 visa. Whatever your profession – IT, nursing, engineering, for example – we’ll ensure you have all the support you need to lodge a successful visa application.

You should be aware that you’ll need a range of paperwork, which may include detailed references and training certificates. Choosing True Blue Migration for your visa application gives you a fantastic chance of gaining permanent residency in Australia, and our no visa, no fee guarantee shows just how committed we are!


All applicants are required to take an English test called IELTS. We can help you train for this by offering helpful tips and advice.


Take your free visa assessment today!


This is one of the most well-known visa processes. Your application will be considered through a points-based system, which analyses what you have to offer to Australia once you move here.

You could be considered for a 190 visa if:

? You are working in a profession that is listed as in shortage

? You reach the standard necessary for points-based applications. This will be based on your age, English competence, training and work experience.

? You are sponsored by a state or territory.


Each state has its own unique requirements. Some may be lacking skilled workers in a particular trade and as such, you may have a better chance of gaining residency if you choose your destination carefully. Occupation shortages change a lot, so it’s important to keep your finger on the pulse of Australia’s needs or work with a registered migration agent who can advise and assist.

It may also be the case that one state has a higher English test score standard than the next, so it’s important to weigh up your options.

Once you’ve been granted a 190 visa you’ll be able to:

? Work in any industry upon arrival

? Study at an Australian school or university

? Receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare

? Begin your journey to full Australian citizenship

? Sponsor others for permanent residency

Like all skilled visas, the Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (489) visa is a points-based application.

There are two pathways for the 489 visa:

The Skilled Sponsored (489) visa requires sponsorship by an Australian state or territory. Each state has unique skill shortages and thus occupations appear at different times on different lists. Each state varies in its specific requirements. Some states require applicants to have higher English scores; others require more work experience or detailed evidence of the applicant's assets. You must live in a regional area of the state that sponsors you. This includes all part of South Australia, the Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and Tasmania. If you are sponsored by Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia or New South Wales you must live and work outside the metropolitan area. The ACT does not have a Skilled Sponsored (489) visa program.

If your nominated occupation is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)  you can be sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area. Your relative must be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia or an eligible New Zealand citizen. This includes your sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, cousin or grandparent. Your relative can be living in any part of Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania. If your relative lives in Queensland or New South Wales, they must live outside the metropolitan area. You must live in the same designated area as your relative.

The Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (489) visa gives you and your partner full work rights and starts you on the pathway to permanent residency. The Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (489) visa is a four-year provisional visa. Once you have lived in the designated area for two years (and worked for 12 months of this, you are eligible to apply for permanent residency and live in any part of Australia.

Note: According to the Australian immigration policy, the maximum duration of student visas is 5 years, but the general term for students of primary school age is relatively short, the longest is two years.


COPYRIGHT (©) 2017 AMS Brisbane Pty Ltd